'www.soapmarked.com' Soapmarked: How it all began: the short happy version

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How it all began: the short happy version

I've been getting questions lately about how it all began, or how I got into making soap. It's a strange kind of thing to make around here. I've noticed since moving to this military city that there's a feel of disposability in the air. Rental furniture stores abound. You can't go half a mile without passing several fast food places. In other words, on the surface there isn't much culture or artistry down here, y'all.

Turns out there is, it's just different than I'm used to.

I've always liked to make things and play with colors. Sadly, I'm not a great draftsman (draftswoman?) so my realistic art career was out the window.


I learned to knit in the early '00s when it was really fadding (yes, I like to make up words), and I took an oil painting class while in grad school and had a lot of fun being messy and being allowed to be bad at something.

So when I felt the end of my last corporate gig approaching, I looked around for something I could do to make some extra money and that would involve playing with colors, scents and pretty things. I've always liked bath and body products, and making my own was fun and made something useful. Of course, it soon overflowed and I gave soap away to friends and family and STILL had lots at home. And Soapmarked was born!

No comments:

Post a Comment